DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., (BRN) – The operations in Venice and Port Charlotte, Florida, have either closed or stopped taking out-of-state teams. We have now been invited to participate in Daytona Beach where Oklahoma’s Disaster Relief team is in command.
The teams were planning all along to take a break until after Thanksgiving. In the meantime, Hurricane Nicole hit Florida on Nov. 9-10 and cut short the deployment of our first Region three team to Daytona Beach.
Oklahoma is still planning to restart Daytona Beach operations the week of Nov. 27 and work through Dec. 17, before breaking for Christmas. We will be doing primarily flood clean-up there with the possible need for support volunteers such as feeding and shower/laundry.
What you can do to help
- Pray for the safety of the volunteers and disaster relief workers as they respond to the disaster
- Pray for safe travels for the volunteers and disaster relief leaders as they travel from various states and regions
- Pray for wisdom for the disaster relief leaders
- Pray for the victims of Hurricane Ian as they experience loss and disruption in their lives and homes
- Pray for gospel opportunities
- Pray about volunteering
Pick a week and join a team! Our Disaster Relief team is always looking for more willing and ready volunteers. If you’re interested in serving in Florida, please email PA/SJ Director of Disaster Relief Kenton Hunt at email@example.com. In your email, please include the the following: Which week you wish to volunteer, what work you are willing to do (chaplains and recovery workers are mostly needed, but feeding, shower and laundry is also being asked of us now) and if you are able drive your vehicle or pull a trailer to Florida.
Weeks in need of volunteers (there will likely not be another team after Team 8):
- Team 8 – Depart Nov. 26, return home Dec. 4
- Team 9 – Depart Dec. 3, return Dec. 11
- Team 10 – Depart Dec. 10, return Dec. 18
Please be in prayer for this effort. Ask your church to pray with us, and pray that many will turn to Jesus when the gospel of the Kingdom is preached as we meet real human needs in Florida.
For more information on Disaster Relief or how you can volunteer visit the BRN’s Disaster Relief webpage.