Doctor of Ministry at Gateway Seminary
Accelerate your ministry | Refresh your soul
Achieve your potential in life and ministry with Gateway’s Doctor of Ministry.
Study under Gateway President Jeff Iorg with fellow ministers in a cohort based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
• Jeff Iorg and Cliff Jenkins will co-teach the summer 2023 course in Pittsburgh.
• Gateway’s D.Min. offers local courses combined with distance learning – no flights to California required.
• Cohort begins January 2023; apply by November 1.
Duration: Three to six years that includes:
• 16 units of seminar work
• 8 units of field work
• 6 units of ministry project
• 30 total units
Approach: Study in cohorts that range in size from eight to 15.
GATEWAY’S D.MIN. PROGRAM IS:
Calibrated to the speed of life. You can earn your D.Min. with two trips of six days duration, to one of the Seminary’s strategically located campuses, or without leaving your ministry field if you prefer 100% distance education.
Self-Directed. Instead of designing rigid subject-related tracks, Gateway Seminary uses a cohort approach that offers greater flexibility while still allowing you to engage your area of interest.
Candidates take the program (Orientation, Research Methods, Project Planning) and core seminars (Leadership, Spiritual Formation, Ministry of Personal Relationships) with the members of their cohort. Working through this part of the curriculum with a cohort allows candidates to develop deep relationships in a supportive learning community.
Candidates take the specialist seminars either as a self-directed study or with others who are interested in the same area of specialization.
Life on Life. Ministry can be lonely, but it doesn’t have to be that way. The Seminary’s cohort system (eight to 15 candidates) encourages you to build meaningful relationships with other ministers who face the same challenges you do. Gateway Seminary will help you set up a ministry support system so you can gain needed feedback from your peers, those you serve and from a mentor.
Challenging. With Gateway Seminary’s D.Min., you will experience academic excellence with practical application. It is a challenging professional degree that applies academic rigor to life and ministry.
Encouraging. Ministry is tough. You minister in an ever-changing, often hostile environment. The D.Min. faculty understands the pressures. They are accomplished, front-line ministers who teach out of their theological training and their extensive ministry experience. They want to help you accelerate your ministry and refresh your soul.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
• M.Div. or a ministry-related master’s degree along with the demonstration of competence in thoughtfully interpreting scripture and the theological tradition of their ministry context.
• A 3.0 or higher GPA in the qualifying master’s degree. Those with a lower GPA may still qualify with an adequate Miller’s Analogy test score.
• Significant ministry experience that enables the applicant to engage as a ministry peer with other students in this advanced professional doctorate.
• Current ministry position.
• Complete the application process.