skip to Main Content

First Churches in Pennsylvania

The first Southern Baptist churches were established in Pennsylvania as a result of the local mission efforts along the Maryland border. The first of these churches was started in 1922 in Hungerford, Pennsylvania, a short distance south of Shrewsbury on the road from Baltimore to York as a mission of Gunpowder Baptist Church of Maryland led by Pastor C. E. Henderson.

It was constituted as Turnpike Baptist Church on December 2, 1923. The Turnpike Church is still active at its original location, which has been absorbed by Shrewsbury, but it is no longer an SBC church.

Back To Top
Search