PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (BRN) – Here is the latest Kingdom of God report from the Hurricane Ian response for Southern Baptist Disaster Relief working in Florida: 178 professions of faith, 1,852 gospel presentations, 2,444 Bibles distributed, 707,207 meals prepared and about 2,700 clean-up and recovery jobs completed! There’s more but that’s a lot to rejoice about!
Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this work in prayer, time, talent and treasure. For those who are still considering joining a team, the opportunities are listed below. The Oct. 29- Nov. 6 team is closed, but new weeks have opened up. Also, this is the last week for the Venice site. Our new site is in Port Charlotte, Florida.
What you can do to help
- Pray for the safety of the volunteers and disaster relief workers as they respond to the disaster
- Pray for safe travels for the volunteers and disaster relief leaders as they travel from various states and regions
- Pray for wisdom for the disaster relief leaders
- Pray for the victims of Hurricane Ian as they experience loss and disruption in their lives and homes
- Pray for gospel opportunities
- Pray about volunteering
Pick a week and join a team! Our Disaster Relief team is always looking for more willing and ready volunteers. If you’re interested in serving in Florida, please email PA/SJ Director of Disaster Relief Kenton Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please include the the following: Which week you wish to volunteer, what work you are willing to do (chaplains and recovery workers are mostly needed, but feeding, shower and laundry is also being asked of us now) and if you are able drive your vehicle or pull a trailer to Florida.
Weeks in need of volunteers (there will likely not be another team after Team 8):
- Team 5 – Depart Nov. 5, return home Nov. 13
- Team 6 – Depart Nov. 12, return home Nov. 20
- Team 7 – Depart Nov. 19, return home Nov. 27
- Team 8 – Depart Nov. 26, return home Dec. 4
Please be in prayer for this effort. Ask your church to pray with us, and pray that many will turn to Jesus when the gospel of the Kingdom is preached as we meet real human needs in Florida.
For more information on Disaster Relief or how you can volunteer visit the BRN’s Disaster Relief webpage.