VENICE, Fla. (BRN) – Our first Disaster Relief team sent to help with Hurricane Ian clean-up served in Port Charlotte, Florida. They have since returned home and the second recovery team, which combines volunteers from Pennsylvania/South Jersey, New York and Maryland/Delaware, has made their trip to Venice, Florida. While in Venice, Florida, they will be working with Missouri Baptist Disaster Relief. So far, the majority of work in Venice has been chainsaw and tarping.
We are rejoicing at the 80 professions of faith, over a thousand Bibles given away and just as many ministry contacts made! Our mobile kitchens have surpassed the half-million mark for meals prepared and nearly 1100 recovery jobs have been completed.
But here is another number we must keep in mind: 19,000 Floridians have asked for our help! So, there is plenty of work to do.
What you can do to help
- Pray for the safety of the volunteers and disaster relief workers as they respond to the disaster
- Pray for safe travels for the volunteers and disaster relief leaders as they travel from various states and regions
- Pray for wisdom for the disaster relief leaders
- Pray for the victims of Hurricane Ian as they experience loss and disruption in their lives and homes
- Pray for gospel opportunities
- Pray about volunteering
Pick a week and join a team! Our Disaster Relief team is always looking for more willing and ready volunteers. If you’re interested in serving in Florida, please email PA/SJ Director of Disaster Relief Kenton Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please include the the following: Which week you wish to volunteer, what work you are willing to do (chaplains and recovery workers are mostly needed, but feeding, shower and laundry is also being asked of us now) and if you are able drive your vehicle or pull a trailer to Florida.
Weeks in need of volunteers (there will likely be more added in the near future):
- Team 3 – Depart Oct. 22, return home Oct. 30
- Team 4 – Depart Oct. 29, return home Nov. 6
- Team 5 – Depart Nov. 5, return home Nov. 13
Please be in prayer for this effort. Ask your church to pray with us, and pray that many will turn to Jesus when the gospel of the Kingdom is preached as we meet real human needs in Florida.
For more information on Disaster Relief or how you can volunteer visit the BRN’s Disaster Relief webpage.